Wednesday, March 24, 2010

cheddar cornmeal scones


I have been keeping a cooking notebook since 2000, when I first lived away from home for an extended period of time. I was off to Hungary for a four month stint studying mathematics, and my Mum encouraged me to start a book of recipes. By the time I flew over to Europe, she had managed to help me get eleven recipes written in the book--including one for how to cook rice. Armed with the notebook and a 1953 version of The Joy of Cooking, I embarked on my great adventure.

Living in Hungary opened up a whole new world for me especially since I began to cook and eat only food I bought myself. Over those four months, more recipes started to be collected. Page numbers were added and I started an index in the back of the book. (Mathematicians like to organise, you know.) When I returned to Canada and back to my mother's care, I cooked a lot less again. I started to cut recipes out of magazines, saving for the future. One recipe I added to the notebook during this period was a mix-and-match recipe for buttermilk biscuits. It never got any use since I was rarely cooking, and by the time I had my own kitchen again I had more exciting things to try.

So this is actually the first use of the recipe I clipped so many years ago. I wish I had tried it earlier, though, since the scones are tasty and easy. The cornmeal gives them a distinctive gritty texture that feels so right when dipped in creamy soup or a rich stew.


Cheddar Cornmeal Scones
adapted from Canadian Living Magazine, May 2003

1 1/2 c (190 g) plain flour
1 T sugar
1 c (170 g) cornmeal
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 T dried sage
pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 c (115 g) cold butter
1 c + 1/4 c (120 g + 30 g) grated mature cheddar cheese
1 c (250 mL) milk
1 t mild vinegar
1 egg

Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sage in a large bowl.
Cut in the butter and add 1 c (120 g) grated cheddar cheese.
In a second bowl, whisk together the milk, vinegar, and egg. Add to the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to mix into a wet dough.
Press onto a prepared baking sheet and flatten to a height of about 1 or 2 cm. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake at 400 F/205 C for 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then cut with a knife into rectangles.

14 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

I could not possibly resist cheddar and cornmeal scones! And this template is quite nice - I like the different sidebar items. 8-)

Unknown said...

I'm crazy about cheese scones and yet I've not made them for donkey's years. Thanks for the encouragement!

Andrea said...

Oh yum, I love cornmeal in baked goods, especially pancakes. These look just wonderful!

gates kevin said...

I'm very Glad to visit your informational Post. Thank you for sharing this. I have something to share here
Cigar Boxes Packaging
Kraft Cigar Boxes

gates kevin said...

Wholesale Cigar Boxes Packaging
Custom Printed Cigar Boxes

The Custom Box Packaging said...

I'm very glad to visit your informational Post. I appreciate good writing. This is the best way to announce your Views to the world. Custom Dispenser Boxes

Anonymous said...

webgirls.pl When it comes to preventing candida albicans, sufferers usually have their function eliminate for these people. This is because candida albicans can readily become chronic and continuous. Bearing that in mind, in the following paragraphs, we are going to current a wide range of the best confirmed yeast infection treatment method and elimination recommendations close to.

Anonymous said...

https://gameeffect.xyz Many people have adored this game of baseball for many years. There are followers worldwide, from specialized little-leaguers to expire-difficult spectators. This information has tips to prove how pleasant baseball actually is.

Anonymous said...

https://gamebegin.xyz You can process on your own. A pitching equipment allows you to established the speed in the tennis ball. By launching a number of baseballs in the machine, you may practice striking without needing a pitcher. This electrical machine is great for these who wish to exercise baseball on your own. Pitching equipment may be gathered at the neighborhood athletic items store.

Anonymous said...

https://gamezoom.xyz Finding a exercise companion can significantly boost your muscles-constructing final results. Your lover might be a useful way to obtain enthusiasm for sticking to your exercise routine treatment, and driving you to definitely improve your initiatives while you work out. Using a reliable companion to work out with will also help help keep you risk-free since you will invariably use a spotter.

Anonymous said...

https://gameboot.xyz The truth is them on periodicals and on Television, people who look like their biceps and triceps and legs will explode his or her muscle groups are extremely huge! There is not any will need that you should consider your system to that degree when you don't desire to, because the basic tactics in this post will help you construct muscles in a wholesome way.

Xperts Packaging said...

It is very informative to provide information for users. I am very thank full to you for sharing this content. I am reading it carefully. Last week I am reading about Custom Candle Boxes. So, you have any knowledge about any type of boxes then Please share me in the shape of Article. Thank You.

Daniel Benson said...

I appreciated you to post this content which is explained boxes. In the event that you have more information about Custom Box Packaging kindheartedly offer with me looking like Article. Grateful to You.

Anonymous said...

Chrome Hearts offers a unique blend of luxury and urban style in its clothing line. With bold designs and meticulous craftsmanship, their hoodies, tees, and jackets stand out as symbols of individuality. Each piece exudes edgy sophistication, appealing to those who seek to make a statement with their fashion choices.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails