Saturday, March 17, 2012

Gingerbread Cake (Whole Grain)


I was a tomboy as a teenager. I refused to wear dresses (sorry, Grammie, you did try to tempt me) and I never owned anything pink. My beanpole body helped, too: I was tall and straight as a board for all of my pre-adult years. Jeans and baggy T-shirts were my uniform, along with chunky boots or trainers. My long (lanky) hair was the only thing about me that could be described as remotely feminine. (Here I am at 16 with my friend Delia. Doesn't she look like a lovely girl?)


My teenage self would have been horrified at me now. I have completely changed in the intervening years. I love skirts, dresses, and high heeled shoes with bows. All my clothes fit now - in a ladylike way. I have embraced my femininity and I even recently decided to style my hair every day! It's been a complete turnaround.


The feminine side of me delights in this gingerbread cake. This is the girliest cake I know - perfect for afternoon tea with your girl friends. It's even better with if you can serve it on frilly plates while wearing a pink dress with bows.


Gingerbread Cake
serves 16
adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking

2 1/4 c (270 g) whole wheat flour
1 t baking soda
1 t ground ginger
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 c (110 g) butter, melted
1/4 c (60 g) sugar
3/4 c (190 ml) honey
1 t lemon juice
1 c (250 ml) milk
1/2 c (100 g) minced crystallised ginger

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk the butter and sugar. Then add the honey, lemon juice, and milk.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well to combine.
Add the crystallised ginger and mix.

Pour into a 9" (23 cm) square pan which has been greased and floured.
Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 45 to 50 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack.
Cut into 16 squares.
Serve with cream or thick, plain yogurt.


Have you embraced your feminine side?

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails