Sunday, January 8, 2012

Seven Foods for Healthy Hair

I don't know how to have a good hair day. I recently got a new hair cut and colour; sophisticated is going to be my style henceforth. However, "natural" (also known as "frizzy mess") has been my default hair style for many years. I had to go out and buy a hair dryer yesterday. And I am determined to have more good hair days.


I bought two "hair styling for dummies" books. Both contain a section about food for healthy hair. Of course, I gravitate to the food section in any book! (Plus, reading about food meant I could put off the nervous moment when I had to pick up my new hair dryer.)

Seven Foods for Good Hair Days

1. Lots of fresh dark green vegetables - they give you lots of iron that encourages healthy growth of the hair by getting oxygen to the follicles. Try spinach, kale, chard, and broccoli. (How about some spinach frittata?)


2. Lots of fresh red, orange, and yellow vegetables and fruits - they give you vitamin C and beta-carotene, which boost blood circulation and keep your scalp healthy. Try mangoes, carrots, citrus fruits, sweet potatoes, and tomatoes.

3. Oily fish - your hair really needs those essential fatty acids. Eat tuna, salmon, and mackerel.

4. Eggs and other protein sources - hair is almost totally made up of protein. Eggs are also rich in vitamins B7 (also called biotin) B12, which keep hair shiny.

5. Nuts - they contain healthy fats and also have minerals. Brazil nuts give you selenium and almonds, cashews, and walnuts provide zinc.

6. Beans and pulses - they provide protein and also give you zinc and vitamin B7, which stops hair brittleness.

7. Lots of water - it's essential for hydrated hair.

You know, it seems to me that the foods you should eat for healthy hair are all the same foods you should eat to be healthy in general. As I look back over this list, I think it could be titled "Seven Foods for {Healthy Brain/Heart/Energy Levels/Sex Life/Fitness}". If you want to improve your health in any way, just eat from this list.

I've overcome my fear and styled my hair once with my new hair dryer. And I'm looking forward to more days with healthy, shiny, well-styled hair.

Are you having a good hair day?

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails